Pensacola MESS Hall Celebrates 10 Years!
The Pensacola MESS Hall was founded as an experiment 10 years ago. A group of community members believed that a hands-on science museum would be an asset to the Pensacola area. Over the years, the MESS Hall team has built on that initial effort to create an organization that is an anchor for our community, engaging learners of all ages in a fun, educational experience.
To celebrate this milestone, the MESS Hall is holding special events beginning in June.
- Tenth Anniversary celebration – This fundraising event on June 2 at 6 PM is an opportunity for supporters to visit the museum and learn about the many ways the MESS Hall shares science discovery in our community. Tickets are $50 a person and are available online at https://pensacolamesshall.org/
- Throwback pricing – From May 31 to June 3, relive the experience of visiting the original MESS Hall with throwback pricing of $5 per person.
- Friday Slime Day – The highlight of the mess kit menu during the first summer was slime. Since then we have incorporated slime into our camps but do not offer it to general visitors. This summer, every Friday visitors will have the option of making slime to bring home. Each week will feature a different kind, such as jewel slime and sand slime. Mess kits are always included in admission.
- In addition to the special anniversary activities, we have weekly programs to enhance your discovery. Every Tuesday at 2 PM a scientist from our community will share about different scientific topics. Presenters will include Mike Thomin from Florida Public Archaeology Network sharing about underwater archaeology, Rick O’Connor of Florida Sea Grant will provide snake and turtle encounters, and many more. Check our website at www.pensacolamesshall.org for the full schedule. The presentations are included with admission.
- Augmenting our new estuary exhibit, on Thursdays from 1 PM to 4 PM our teen volunteers will facilitate engaging activities that highlight the science of our estuaries. These activities will follow different themes including how humans move through estuaries, the life of estuaries, and the properties of water. Activities will be determined each week by the volunteers and announced on social media and eblasts.
- In addition to the special programs for general visitors, the MESS Hall is offering a slate of themed summer camps for learners entering grades 1-6. Schedules and registration are available online. Our outreach crews will be visiting summer programs across the community as well. Interested organizations can contact us to schedule a visit.
What started as a dream for our community has become an indispensable resource. Join us in celebrating the first ten years and dream about the improvements we can make together for many years to come.
ABOUT THE MESS HALL
Founded in 2012, the Pensacola MESS Hall is not a typical science museum. It’s all hands-on science. Visitors to the facility enjoy exploring math, engineering, science, and stuff with an ever-changing menu of mess kits, activities and exhibits. Additionally, the MESS Hall serves our community with outreach programs, field trips, and other events. For more information about the MESS Hall, visit pensacolamesshall.org.